Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Live into that

"Live into that" is the advice my friend Sean dispenses when I call him up panicked that my comic will never see the light of day. He means that I should not focus on the immense pile of work yet to be done, but instead define my goals and then decide what I can start doing today to get there tomorrow. It's an actionable approach to living one's dream, and - I'm just going to say it - being a cartoonist has always been my dream.

So here it is! My goal is to update this comic weekly, but I set that goal knowing that it will depend heavily on my workload. I am instead going to "live into" working on my comic at least once a week and updating the blog at least twice a week, and I will see how often that produces comic updates. As with many cartoonists, my work is a labor of love, not profit.

About today's installment


Page 1 is my favorite of the batch, largely because I drew it last so it's newer to me. But I also think the layout and Toomey's pose are pretty eye-catching.


Page 2 was by far the hardest for me to draw. It took about as long as all the other pages combined. I wanted people familiar with the Pines Harbor to recognize it immediately, but I took a lot of license to fit all the elements into one frame without making the figures too small.

Pages 3-5 introduce a lot of the cast. I crammed many names into very few frames but don't sweat it - you have plenty of time to figure out who is who.

About Sean
My friend Sean is no stranger to web comics himself. You can check out his work at www.rated-z.com Sean's work is very adult, by which I mean erotic. Sean approaches sexuality the way he approaches all aspects of his life, infusing his comic with the same love of life and positive energy that got me through so many mini-meltdowns.

No comments: